Sunday, July 3, 2011

Simplicity 3877 Review



To show my appreciation to my mom for putting up with my sewing area, and buying me that sewing machine in the 8th grade that I begged for (even though I had no idea what to do with it) I decided to make her a nice new dress. So she picked out a pattern and I made it for her! (what a good daughter I am! maybe she will let me get away with a messing sewing area now heehee)

Pattern Description: This is a threads pattern by simplicity, which I thought which was really cool because I enjoy threads magazine. It has princess seams, different collar options, and 8 godets.
Pattern Sizing:
I believe they make this pattern from 6 to 22, I made the 14. Beware though, this dress has a TON of ease. I had to take it in at the sides later.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it looked very similar.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes the instructions were well written and easy to follow.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked that this pattern gave the option of different bust sizes. This can help seamstresses take less time altering the pattern and more time sewing.
Fabric Used:
I used a floral patterned fabric in what I believe is a cotton Lycra blend, but I don't remember for sure. This was not a recommened fabric though. I think lighter, airy fabrics would probably be more suitable.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Well, its a faux wrap dress. I decided not to insert the ties at the sides because I thought that the fabric would be to thick to tie a bow nicely. In retrospect I should have just shorten the ties to make a sash, not a bow. Lesson learned I guess.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would recommend this to others, but I don't see myself making it again anytime soon.
Conclusion:
This is a very nice and classy pattern. But I had never made godets before and it was rather time consuming for me!

More Pictures!
Side
Back

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...